Solution intent is an incredibly useful but often impenetrable part of SAFe. It is presented as part of SAFe’s large solution layer and is absolutely essential if you are building large, complex, safety critical systems or are required to maintain any form traceability.
It’s also the best way to maintain a holistic overview of what your system does, and how it does it, particularly if you need to maintain any kind of permanent record.
In our many years of applying SAFe to some of the world’s biggest and most complex systems (such as the Square Kilometre Array – the world’s largest science facility) we found use-cases to be the best way to structure, bound, access, evolve and maintain your Solution Intent whilst maintaining your agility.
The webinar accessible below was recorded on 2nd of July 2021 titled “Using Use Cases to manage your SAFe Solution Intent” Lead by Ian Spence (SAFe Fellow) and Keith De Mendonca (SPCT).
In this short webinar the following topics are covered:
- The role of solution intent and its relationship to the team, program and solution backlogs
- The fixed and variable aspects of the solution intent
- How use-cases can help structure and iteratively evolve your solution intent
- How use-cases can help to organize your trains to improve flow
- How use-cases can help to improve your backlogs
- How use-cases can help manage your test assets