A Starter Pack of Agile Practices
Team-level agile is well established - at least in theory! Things that really should be commodity stuff by now - such as clear understanding and articulation of the essentials - shouldn’t vary massively from team to team. However, in practice, arguments rage between software development “experts” and teams on which process framework is best – e.g. Extreme Programming (XP) versus Scrum versus Kanban. Even though agile principles are clear that “no one should tell the team how to do their work”, in practice they are often told “Do Scrum” or “No, don’t do Scrum, do Kanban!”. The Agile Essentials eliminates these damaging and distracting conflicts by extracting the useful practice guidance from XP, Scrum, Kanban and other popular agile approaches, and presents it as a useful and usable set of practice cards that development teams can freely select, combine and adapt to help them work effectively as a team.
The IJI Agile Essentials Can Help!
The Agile Essentials puts a toolkit of productive process tools literally into the hands of software development professionals, where it can deliver value every day in prompting and guiding the team and supporting team communication and collaboration.
Benefits of IJI Agile Essentials
- Visible and easily accessible tools that deliver value every day
- Instant clarity of the what, who, when, where, how
- Greater collaboration and communication between team members
- Transparency of practices being used and why
- Helps spot the gaps and keeps everyone on the same page
- Provides practical help to reach agreement on the best way of working
- Practice knowledge is propagated even as people join and leave the organization
- Greater empowerment for teams to select their practices without loss of visibility and control
The Agile Essentials practices provide a basic starter kit toolbox that covers all the common and critical aspects of team-based development. Each practice contains a small number of cards that provide useful, structured advice on how to successfully adopt and apply each practice. Practices included are:
- Agile Development Essentials
- Agile Retrospective Essentials
- Agile Teaming Essentials
- Agile Timeboxing Essentials
- Daily Stand-Up Essentials
- Product Backlog Essentials
- Product Ownership Essentials