Developing and Customizing Practices
The Practice Workbench is a development environment for composing, authoring, collaborating and managing software development practices and methods. Its comprehensive features and robust capabilities ensure a professional, intuitive and productive authoring and development experience for practice authors and method engineers allowing them to focus on the essential business value of the practices and methods they create. The Practice Workbench makes it easy to author and deploy practices based on the OMG standard Essence language and kernel.
The Practice Workbench comes with an interactive version of the Essence Kernel, and enables the creation of kernel extensions and practices as well as their composition into methods.
- Easy creation and maintenance of practice elements through a model-based approach and dedicated forms
- Easy to describe practice element guidelines through a simple lightweight markup language and a supporting editor
- Straightforward to share practice results between users by the means of organized workspaces, projects, plug-ins; and built-in version control
- Adopts the Essence language and kernel for practice and method specifications, which is an OMG standard (http://www.omg.org/spec/Essence/)
- Supports composition of practices into streamlined methods for use by development teams
- Configurable preview and deployment facilities for practice element cards and guidelines; including multiple content and style settings to fine-tune practice visualizations
- Practice template creation and deployment that lets an organization configure and streamline its own practice development effort
- Localization by adapting practice descriptions to use different languages
- Innovative card-based representation; including overview cards for practice elements, as well as ”Poker” cards, including alpha state cards
- Publication of methods, practices and kernels as browsable HTML web-sites
- Built-in installation and update mechanism for the Practice Workbench tool in itself; as well as for add-on software components and practices
- Provides a platform and web browser independent installation.